Monday, October 28, 2013

Fellow Citizens With The Saints

...and members of the household of God...


In addition to copying Genesis, right now I'm also copying Psalms and Ephesians. Rather than work my way straight through the Bible, I'm doing multiple books at once, and simply working beginning to end in each book. And, this week, I've been particularly grateful that I'm working through Ephesians.

As I've already mentioned, this project is bigger than I ever anticipated. When I decided to do this, I thought it would just be me, on my own, blogging about the journey so that I could process what was happening. When other people decided to join in, whether they're copying the whole Bible, a book or two, or a single chapter, it was clear to me that God was taking this project out of my hands and making it his own.

Hearing that some of you are joining in has been thrilling. And hearing firsthand from a friend who's copied two books so far about what the experience has meant to her, personally, was incredible. I am awed and humbled, waiting to see what God has in store.

However, I also spent the end of last week feeling pretty down. Nothing specific happened. There was no terrible news or tragic incident. I just felt weary, and tired, and dark. I confided in some friends that I felt like there was a spiritual battle being fought over me, and I had a day or two that were just not fun at all. And they, being the great friends they are, immediately told me they would be praying for me.

Which brings me to Ephesians. I'm nearly finished copying it, and it has spoken volumes to me about not only who I am in Christ, but also to the unity that we have, all Christians, "as members of the household of God".

"For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit." - Ephesians 2:18-22


It's times like last week that make me so grateful that I am surrounded by millions--billions, even--of people whose utmost purpose is the furthering of the kingdom of God. When I'm feeling burdened, I have 66 books full of my history and identity as a Christian, and I have a world full of people who are working with me, who are of the same mind, and who will drop anything at a moment's notice and claim God's promises for me.

That had never really clicked with me before, and let me tell you something:

There's nothing quite like realizing just how big God is--not only in heaven, but also on earth--to make any trouble seem completely minute.

So, I'm writing today to thank those of you who are praying over this venture, to encourage those of you who are accompanying me on it, and to tell those of you who might be feeling low today that, in Christ, you are loved, protected, and empowered by the Holy Spirit. 

So own it.



No comments:

Post a Comment